< Upheaval: IDUS

Saturday, June 17, 2006

IDUS

This summer, one of the obligations for the grant program that I am in is that I teach remedial reading and math skills at our Summer Clinic. The kids who come are just a little behind in these areas, and the four weeks of intensive work can help bring them right along.

As graduate students, we are supposed to dress professionally since this is a sort of internship. In addition to the 12 of us, one of our professors also requires his undergraduates to "volunteer" at our clinic a couple of hours a week.

We have begun to refer to them as Inappropriately Dressed Undergraduate Students (IDUS). You can see them coming across the lawn in front of our building. They come wearing pajama pants. They come in spaghetti strap tank tops with no bra. They wear sweat pants pulled up around the knees that say "SUGAR" across the bum. They wear Corona ball caps. They wear midriff bearing tee shirts over an obvious bikini top. They come in cut-off jean skirts with the pockets hanging out the bottom.

It has become an embarrassment. Maybe there was a misprint in their syllabus? "Keep in mind that you are in a professional setting. Please dress inappropriately."

I dunno. Where is their pride? At least wear some nice slacks with your tube top, mmmkay?

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

Well, do the pajamas at least match the tank top? I totally couldn't deal with it if not.

When I taught art classes, one of my students always showed up in her pj's. I thought it was so weird! Then her mother made me a pair. Now I totally understand why pj's are worn to class, the store, church...

8:55 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Even when I was an undergrad, I could never fathom going to class in my pajamas... I don't think I really ever did it. And now that I teach high school, I see the trend starting earlier, and I still don't understand it. In college, if you wake up for an 8 am class, only to go back to bed at 9, then I see the reasoning behind the going in your pjs, but when you are in high school, and you are in school until 3 pm?!? Come on now!
I'm sorry that you've been accosted by IDUS and have to suffer through it, watching those people be comfortable while you have to be professional! Ugh! The nerve!

9:52 PM  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

Personally, I chalk it up to no "home training". No one is taught to dress appropriately anymore so they take their cues from their peers. Ick.

8:48 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

I think it's surprising that the prof has said anything to them.

2:17 PM  
Blogger koyama said...

rI came near the edge during undergrad and would wear the same comfy denim overalls.....to every morning class almost. Pajama bottoms are pushing it!! You must look great though - especially since they have pj bottoms and tank tops to compare you to (not that you wouldn't anyway).

2:37 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Yikes..... that is scary!

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home