I admit that I've been a bit spoiled. Since he was eight weeks old, he has slept through the night from 8 to 6 without waking. There have been a few days when he tried to wake up at 5, but he was easy to get back to sleep.
So this is all new to me. He has been up like clockwork between 4 and 4:15 every morning this week.
These are some things I have tried:
1) Rocking him then laying him back down to sleep. Doesn't work, he cries when I leave the room. (Monday morning)
2) Patting his back and not picking him up. Once again, this is fine as long as I don't leave the room. (Tuesday morning)
3) Changing his diaper in case the wetness bothered him, and then laying him back down. Doesn't work - apparently the wet diaper doesn't bother him! (Wednesday morning)
4) Letting him cry. This is how we taught him to sleep so well to begin with, so this wasn't too hard for me. However, after two hours of crying, it is obvious that he is not going to go back to sleep. (Thursday morning)
5) Putting him to bed later at night. He didn't go to bed till 9:15 last night, which is really late for him, and he was up at 4, crankier than usual!
6) Slipping him a mickey. I gave him Motrin one night thinking maybe that would help, but it didn't. I also gave him some Tylenol one morning when he woke up, and that didn't help either.
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? I am fresh out of ideas and I am sleep deprived so I am willing to bet that my brain isn't going to turn out anything worthwhile right now, anyway. He sleeps in a crib, but is 19 months old. Is he ready for a big boy bed? Will that help?